Back pain is one of the most common complaints we treat. It is estimated that 80% or more of the population will suffer from back at one time or another, so there's a good chance that it will affect you at some stage if it hasn't already. There are so many myths and misconceptions surrounding back pain, and every stranger on a street corner seems to have the 'latest and greatest' fad fix or advice on how to overcome it.
The truth is that back pain takes many forms, is often resolved easily with simple treatment and common sense, and most of the time will have no lasting impact on your way of life. That's not to say it isn't complicated sometimes - it certainly can be - so getting the RIGHT advice from a professional who deals with it consistently can be invaluable.
- Back pain is permanent and nothing fixes it
- Activities that provoke pain should always be avoided.
- “I damaged a disc in my back, so it will always be a problem”
- Loading your back and activities such as running, lifting and twisting are dangerous.
- Back pain means your core is weak and something is out of place.
- “My spine keeps going out of alignment”
- Surgery fixes back pain.
- Back pain is a leading cause of disability – 80% of people will suffer from back pain at some stage of their lives
- Bed rest is an ineffective remedy for back pain
- Back pain can be complicated. There are many spinal structures that can contribute, but so can your mood, stress and fitness levels, even your sleep patterns!
- Strengthening your back and core muscles will help reduce pain.
- Back pain doesn’t get worse with age.
- Long term back pain is multi-factorial. It isn't just about the physical structures in your spine, its about how you relate to the pain, how you deal with it, how proactively you take control of it.
How can the team at Belmont City Physiotherapy Clinic help you?
- We can identify and assess your movement patterns, the factors contributing to your pain, and plan an effective treatment regime.
- We will create an effective management plan, from initial treatment strategies to long term exercise and lifestyle programs.
- We will help you take control of the pain so that it doesn't control you.
- We help you get back on with life and doing what you love!