Arthritis can be a painful problem that diminishes your quality of life. But in truth, it doesn't have to be this way. Degenerative joint changes affect everyone to varying degrees, its just a part of being human and getting older. Physiotherapy can help you manage the pain and reduced movement that is associated with arthritis, often having a real and positive impact on people lives.
- Arthritis always causes pain and disability.
- Exercise and loading arthritic joints makes them worse.
- My doctor said I have arthritis and I ‘just have to live with it’.
- Arthritic joints should avoid activity.
- Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis are the same thing.
- Many people show signs of ‘wear and tear’ on scans and have no pain whatsoever. The amount of arthritis on a scan is a poor predictor of pain and disability.
- Excess body weight, disuse, weakness and reduced confidence are more reliable predictors of disability.
- Improving the strength and condition of the muscles around an arthritic joint can reduce pain and improve function.
- Restoring normal movement patterns will help.
How can the team at Belmont City Physiotherapy help you?
- We can identify biomechanical and lifestyles issues that contribute to your pain.
- We can help you improve your flexibility, strength and confidence.
- We can set you up with long term management strategies that really help.
- If needs be, we liaise with other health care professionals to get you the BEST results.